Skip to main content

ISHML Update for June 2018

I'm up to 400 lines of code and very happy with how things are shaping up.

I'm a slow coder, but I've got a highly flexible parser now that is completely configurable by the story's author.  If you know how to diagram a sentence, you know how to configure the parser. 

I'm now working on speeding up lexeme matching using prefix trees.  They seem like magic.

Regarding the acronym, ISHML, I'm only luke warm on the H standing for Hypertext.  While it's accurate, Interactive Story Hypertext Modeling Language doesn't exactly flow.  I'm thinking now that the H stands for Hierarchy, because it really is about modeling the hierarchy of the story elements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NLP Resources

This is a list of resources I am using to learn about natural language processing related to the ISHML project.. Infocom Parser:  http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Infocom-type_parser How to understand natural language processing in 81 easy lectures Glossary of terms:  https://glossary.sil.org/term/grammatical-category Break down of noun phrases: https://linguapress.com/grammar/noun-phrases.htm More on noun phrases:  https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/noun-phrase Adpositions:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preposition_and_postposition#Terminology Adpositions can be used to express a wide range of  semantic  relations between their complement and the rest of the context. The relations expressed may be spatial (denoting location or direction), temporal (denoting position in time), or relations expressing comparison, content, agent, instrument, means, manner, cause, purpose, reference, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrasal_verb...

On Modeling Languages

Well, I was spending a lot of time wondering how far I could stretch the definition of  modeling language.  It turns out the definition is very stretchy. I was worried that a graphically oriented interface for ISML would cause it to cease to be a modeling language.  Turns out I was wrong. Quoting from Wikipedia :  A modeling language is any artificial language that can be used to express information or knowledge or systems in a structure that is defined by a consistent set of rules... A modeling language can be graphical or textual. ISML fits the definition well.  I'm going to stop worrying about my initialism and get back to work.

Project ISML

I've started a new project that I'm quite excited about.  I don't have much to show right now, but I hope to have something interesting in about six months.  In the meantime, here's the vision statement for the project: ISML stands for Interactive Story Modeling Language, but you can call it "Ishmael." It is an authoring system for creating interactive web content including Interactive Fiction (IF) aka text adventure games, Choose Your Own Adventure (CYOA) style hypertext stories, quizzes, chat-bots, hidden object games, spelling bees, tile games, or any other multi-media interactive experience you can imagine. The ISML modeling language makes intuitive sense to authors. You can be successful with ISML even if you have no programming skills. Stumbling blocks such as nested logic, loops, recursion, case-sensitivity, pointers, and variable scope are de-emphasized or non-existent. Where these concepts do exist, the language presents them in a way that is nat...